Friday, May 29, 2009

Whiny baby x 5 days = cranky mama


L is driving me crazy. Either she has about 8 teeth coming in or she's just as rotten as her Pop says she is. Umm, let's see, some signs of teething are: irritability and bad temper, drooling and chin rash, biting and gnawing, earache and pulling, diarrhea, crankiness and trouble sleeping, low-grade fever, and cold-like symptoms (runny nose). CHECK! Rather than elaborating much on the past week, I've been researching natural methods to help with teething. And you better believe, I'm trying EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

Natural Teething Remedies

Natural Teething Tablets (available at your local Walgreens and online)- Look for chamomilla (irritability) and belladonna (inflammation) ingredients. Try Hyland's or Humphreys. Hyland's dissolves under the tongue and Humphreys has to be dissolved in water then administered to your child. Any guesses to which one I'm trying?

Clove oil (available online and at your local pharmacy)- Dilute this by mixing a few drops with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and rub on gums. Clove oil has been used for toothache pain for centuries.

Vanilla extract (available in your kitchen pantry)- Vanilla is warm and soothing and you can rub it directly on the gums. But be sure to only use a drop because many contain a percentage of alcohol.

Dip a washcloth in water, wring it out and freeze it. Let your baby chew on it. Yes I'm serious. Works better than any teething toy I've wasted money on.

Does anyone else have a tried-and-true teething remedy? Leave it in the comments section below and help other cranky mamas!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if it works yet, but I got an amber teething necklace for my son. I have heard really great things. I am actually giving one away on my blog very soon!
    http://www.dirtydiaperlaundry.com

    I also love the BPA free raspberry teether. He loves it too.

    ReplyDelete