Wednesday, July 22, 2009

5 tips for shopping at thrift stores

If money is not an issue for you, then stop reading this post.

For the rest of us, money has to be carefully managed. I would rather spend any disposable income I have on clothes and toys for my daughter than on clothing for myself. One way I do this is by shopping at thrift stores. I've found Tibi, Seven for all Mankind, James Jeans, Lilly Pulitzer, Gap, Banana Republic, and J. Crew at thrift stores in my area.

Here are my tips for stretching your budget and your wardrobe, with no guilty feelings.

1. Know your wardobe - A pair of dress pants may seem like a steal for $2 but it's a just a waste of $2 if you never dress up. Only buy what you know you will wear.

2. Have a goal - Do you know you need another pair of jeans? Do you need some shorts that fit post-baby? Zoning in on certain sections of the store will save time.

3. Try it on! - Do not rely on the number on the tag. If it doesn't fit now, it's not going to fit later.

4. Shop for all seasons - Don't pass up a barely-worn J. Crew wool skirt just because it's 80 degrees outside! Try it on - if it fits, buy it and save it for Winter!

5. Go for quality - Don't buy clothing that is already worn out before you get it! You should be able to find several pieces in excellent condition.

How do you save money shopping? Leave your comments here!

1 comment:

  1. GREAT NEWS!!!! You can not only heat and cool your home the earth friendly geothermal way but also your POOL!!! Check it out-Francis http://www.geothermalquestions.net

    ReplyDelete